Understanding a Rare Genetic Eye Disorder: Stargardt Disease
Stargardt disease is a genetic eye problem that is uncommon and results in gradual loss of vision caused by the degeneration of the macula, a small area located in the center of the retina that enables sharp and central vision. The onset of the disease usually occurs during childhood or adolescence and can cause significant visual impairment in early adulthood. This disease is caused by a mutation in the ABCA4 gene, which is responsible for the production of a protein necessary for the proper function of photoreceptor cells in the retina. While there is cure available with conventional medications, Ayurveda offers treatment for Stargardt Disease that can help manage the symptoms and slow the progression of the disease.
Get Stargardt Disease Treated
Book an appointment
Symptoms of Stargardt Disease
Progressive loss of central vision
Blurred or distorted vision
Difficulty adapting to changes in lighting
Color blindness or difficulty distinguishing between colors
Data & Statistics For Stargardt Disease treatment From Research Studies
Stargardt disease is a rare genetic eye disorder that causes progressive vision loss due to the degeneration of the macula. WHO research analytics indicates that Stargardt disease affects approximately 1 in 10,000 people globally, making it a rare disease. A study published in the International Journal of Ayurveda and Pharma Research found that Ayurvedic treatments, such as Nasya therapy and Panchakarma therapy, were effective in improving visual acuity and reducing the rate of disease progression in Stargardt disease patients. Research also suggests that Ayurvedic treatment for Stargardt Disease includes Triphala Churna, Amalaki Rasayana, and Shatavari Churna, which may help manage the symptoms and slow the progression of the disease.
Correct Stargardt Disease without surgery
100% natural medications
Safe & advanced technology
Proven results against Stargardt Disease
3 Easy Steps To Start Your Ayurveda Treatment for Stargardt Disease
Fix Your Appointment Online
Consult With The Eye Specialist Assigned To You
Get Treated With The Best Ayurvedic Medicines
Story of Health & Healing
Hear Experiences of Happy Patients at
Dr Basu Eye Hospital
Story Of Colour Blindness Patient treated successfully by Ayurveda Watch their story.
Story Of Colour Blindness Patient treated successfully by Ayurveda Watch their story
Through experience and keen observation of different eye cases, Dr M S Basu studied the effectiveness of herbal treatments. After 9 years of intensive research, Isotine was developed and launched. The flagship invention of Dr. MS Basu shot to instant fame and success. It is the basis of all treatments at our hospital, combined with an array of holistic practices.
As the CEO, and a qualified optometrist, Dr. Mandeep Basu understands the dynamics of eye care in the contemporary lifestyle. He ardently looks after the research and development team and guides them on innovations and product development initiatives.
Dr. Mahendra Singh Basu
Dr. Mandeep Singh Basu
Frequently Asked Questions
Stargardt Disease is a genetic disorder, and it is caused by mutations in the ABCA4 gene, which provides instructions to make a protein that is crucial for the proper functioning of the retina’s photoreceptor cells. These cells detect light and send signals to the brain, allowing us to see. Mutations in the ABCA4 gene lead to the buildup of toxic waste products, known as lipofuscin, within the photoreceptor cells, causing them to degenerate and die. Over time, this process leads to the progressive loss of central vision, which is the hallmark of Stargardt Disease. The inheritance pattern of Stargardt Disease is usually autosomal recessive, which means that an individual must inherit two copies of the mutated gene, one from each parent, to develop the disease.
There are potential benefits of Ayurvedic treatment for Stargardt disease, as it may help manage the symptoms and slow down the progression of the disease. Some of the benefits of all natural Ayurvedic treatment for Stargardt disease may include:
- Improved visual acuity: Ayurvedic treatments, such as Nasya therapy and Panchakarma therapy, may help improve visual acuity in Stargardt disease patients.
- Reduced oxidative stress: Ayurvedic herbal supplements may help in the reduction of oxidative stress, which can lead to cell damage and accelerate the progression of the disease.
- Reduced inflammation: Ayurvedic treatments can help in the reduction of inflammation in the eyes, which can contribute to the development and progression of Stargardt disease.
- Slowed disease progression: Ayurvedic treatments, such as Triphala Churna, Amla Rasayana, and Shatavari Churna, may help slow down the progression of Stargardt disease and preserve vision for longer. Ayurvedic Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment is also an excellent option for slow disease progression.
There are several Ayurvedic herbs that are commonly used in the treatment of Stargardt disease. Some of these herbs and their potential benefits include:
- Triphala: This combination of three fruits – amla, haritaki, and bibhitaki – is a powerful antioxidant that can help in reducing oxidative stress and inflammation in the eyes This is also an excellent diabetic retinopathy treatment.
- Amlaki: Amalaki is a rich source of vitamin C and other antioxidants that can help protect the retina from damage.
- Shatavari: This herb has anti-inflammatory properties and may help improve vision in Stargardt disease patients.
- Ginkgo Biloba: While not an Ayurvedic herb, ginkgo biloba is often used in Ayurvedic medicine and might help in improving blood flow to the eyes and protect against retinal damage.
- Ashwagandha: This adaptogenic herb may help reduce stress and inflammation. Both stress and inflammation can contribute to the development and progression of Stargardt disease.